[VAC] Re: 1950 speed in a 2000 world

Jim:

     I hear you loud and clear.  I drive an old 1947 Dodge Power Wagon on
weekends, so I thoroughly understand SLOOOOOW and the ideal of retro time
travel.

     In my younger, faster years when I left Denver at 5:00 a.m. in my speedy
Mercedes 280 4.5 sedan for a day of downhill skiing at Vail 120 miles (one
way) away, and quickly drove back at day's end without sufficient apres ski
time, I'd often get caught in the crush of slow traffic crawling up the west
side of the Continental Divide towards the Eisenhower Tunnel.

    To turn down my clock speed to match the flow of traffic and keep myself
from exploding, I'd push a cassette of Old Blue Eye's Greatest Hits in my
radio.  Nothing relaxes my spirit and reduces my anxiety as well as Frank
crooning his best torch songs.  I'd imagine (yes, just imagine) a tumbler of
bourbon-on-the-rocks was within easy reach on the dash, and at "quarter past
three" the imaginary sips would drop my pulse rate to that of the unhurried
speedometer.  It was all a matter of attitude adjustment - adjusting my
internal speed to the externally imposed limit of everyone else around me
slipping and slide up the side of the mountain.

    Now that I'm inching towards my September years, old farm tractors have
replaced the fast cars of my youth, and the women have ........ well, let's
just say the thick, broad curves of an old metal trailer have a newfound
allure.  Jim, I'm sure I'll meet you someday on a forgotten Blue Highway in
some remote corner of this great country of ours, and we'll stop, chat, and
share a whisp of bourbon.

Best regards,

Fred in Denver