[VAC] Re: dave carr

Hi Jim: First of all I wasn't pulling Airstreams in the 60s, out of my price
range. I was pulling a couple of different trailers, one a Fan Lee Liner,
and the other a Fan Luxury Liner. One was 19 feet and the other was 24 feet.
I pulled them with a 1970 Plymouth Cuda 340 with a 4 speed stick. It was a
muscle car and not designed to pull trailers. I did pull the trailer
satisfactorily due to the large engine. I also pulled them with a 1969
Chrysler Town and country station wagon. It pulled them just fine at any
speed I wanted to go. It didn't do to well on gas though with the 440 v8
engine. I spent the winter of 73 in Phoenix at a retirement trailer park and
the Airstreams were mostly 31 footers and pulled by Lincoln town cars or
Cadillac's. Many of the trailers were pulled by Pickup trucks. Most of these
were Jimmys or chevs. Some good friends of mine in the park were pulling a
21 foot trailer around the United States behind there chevy pickup. It was a
six cylinder model and they said it worked just fine. Just remember that
most of us were not trying to drive 65 miles an hour. As you said, your
truck like 45-55 mph and that at that speed it should work just fine. In my
opinion one is not putting your life at risk or anybody else's by driving
with a more normal sized vehicle. If you want to cruise in the fast lane at
75 mph and still bring your trailer , then consider the car and trailer
loaded on a semi trailer being pulled by a big Kenworth. I am retired and
will be leaving for Tucson AZ in 2 weeks for the winter. I will be leaving
my Airstream home in the barn this winter and driving my 30 foot Itasca
Suncruiser motorhome pulling my trusty Dakota behind as a towed. I will be
cruising with the fast one this time.

Good luck with you pickup restoration and it will look great pulling the
Airstream.

Dave Carr
WBCCI #2275