[VAC] Re: Water system Air Pump

Wayne & Tim,

My '63 Avion also has a pressure system,  and for a while it seemed as
though my compressor wasn't working, even though I filled it with 20W oil as
prescribed, so I looked into getting it rebuilt.  It was made by Grover, and
appears to be original equipment.  I found Grover on the web, and emailed
them, and they said it was too old to have a rebuild kit, but they could
probably rebuild it if I sent it to them.   In the meantime, it seems to
have mysteriously started working OK.  I've also been considering converting
to a demand system, but will keep it as is, while it's working.  (I also
have a hand pump built into the filler cap as a backup if it quits).

These days, Grover apparently makes compressors solely for air horns, but I
found one on their web site that looks nearly identical to mine.  It's at
the following page, and is model #1167:

   http://www.groverproducts.com/horns/horninfo/access.html

Also on that page, there is the same pump with a tank, Kit #1218, which
looks like it might work better than the pump alone.  It might give you some
reserve for your shower, and could double as a compressed air source by
teeing a valve with a quick fitting for an external hose into the tank
outlet.

I couldn't find specs for any of the compressors or kits on the web site.
You'd need to contact Grover to see what pressure ranges they can be set
for, and amperage draw, and whether they'd recommend them as suitable for
this use.  They also might be able to rebuild your old units, even if
they're not Grovers, but that could be expensive if they had to do any
custom fabrication of parts.  I also don't have a clue as to the price of
their new units.  I suspect they're more expensive than the average demand
pump, but comparable to, or less than the premium model demand pumps.

You might want to give these guys a call and see what they can do for you.
(Their web site is not very helpful).

Don
'63 Avion 20-ft