RE: [VAC] Door & Trunk Rubber Seals

Judy-

Just finished with replacing these seals. They are Airstream Part #682520
"Gasket, main door 1969-73) and cost $0.44 per foot at the factory. In spite
of saying "main door" it is actually around all of the compartment doors,
and windows as well. The profile of the gasket is D-shaped with a split on
the outward facing side and one side which is slightly longer than the
other--about 9/16" and 7/16".

I don't know of a source for this other than the factory, if you go in
person, or an Airstream dealer if you have one near you. The factory will
not let you order it. I've noticed other folks ordering from Paul-Sherry in
Ohio. I was impressed with their dealership when I visited there and
wouldn't have a problem mail-ordering from them.

I used 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive Part #051135-08001 which I also
purchased at the factory store since the weatherstrip is not self adhesive.

Prior to finding the actual replacement seal, I used Stormking Foam
Weatherstrip which was available at my local hardware store in the 3/8" and
7/16". I felt that the 7/16" was just a little thick, but compressed down
well on the compartment hatches. It might be too thick for the main door,
however. I also found on the compartment doors I needed to use two strips
side by side to prevent the foam from 'smushing' sideways as the door was
closed. This has worked well until I could get the real stuff. I may not
replace it. It is VERY MUCH easier to put on than the original rubber
weatherstriping and you don't end up with yucky glue everywhere! Only time
will tell how it lasts...

The REAL job is to get the surface clean from the old weatherstrip adhesive.
This is a chore. I used a 3M adhesive removal chemical and an Ultra-fine
Mirka Mirlon scuff pad which made quicker work out of it.

Have fun!

Dallas Peak
'72 Sovereign