[VAC] re: Questions on purchase of a vintage airstream

Greetings,

Our names are Herm and Gail Morchel, from Northern New Jersey. We have been
tent camping with our children for years, "moved up" to a pop-up, and are now
convinced that acquiring a vintage Airstream trailer is the next logical step.

We joined the Vintage Airstream club as "non-owners", but looking to buy !

We are both pretty handy, I consider myself a serious mechanic, I do all of
our own car repairs including engine, transmission, front end, etc. I have a
background in electrical engineering.

We are presently considering a purchase and would greatly appreciate some
advice. Following are a few questions:

 The unit we are considering purchasing has a nameplate which states:
    Airstream Land Yaght Soverign   manafacturer date 11-76
    GVWR 7100
    It is about 30 feet long but Im not sure exactly how to measure it

1.  How does the "Land Yaght Soverign" manafactured 11/76 rank in the
Airstream Family, is it top of the line or a more inexpensive model ? Were
there other models that year ?

2. How was the quality in 1976, was that good time for Airstream ?

3. The unit has not been moved for 10 years, I presume I need to replace
brake calipers, shocks, possibly replace disks, bearings, etc. Where is a
good place to buy them ?

4.  Are there likely to be any major structural problems ? What should I look
for ?

5. The skin seems to be shiny in spots and oxidised (?) in others, sort of
blotchy. Is this normal, will it look good if I polish it ?

6. In general what should I look for when checking out the unit ?

7. Our tow vehicle is a 1989 Suburban 1500 with a 350 engine. It had an extra
leaf added to the rear springs. Will it be adequate to tow the Airstream ?

Thanks much to anyone who can offer advice. We are looking forward to
becomming active Vintage Airstream Club members.

                                            REGARDS

                                            Herm and Gail Morchel