Re: [VAC] Air Cond for Dreamers details

Definitely dreaming.

Figure at least 1200 watts for 9000 BTU air conditioning (coefficient of
performance 3). At 12 volts (neglecting inverter efficiency) that's 100
amps. The typical golf cart battery is about 90 amp hours, so a pair
would supply that load almost an hour (two 6 volt batteries). 8 hours
operation means sixteen. (weight about 3/4 ton). Maximum solar charging
current 8 amps, and that's only if the panels are placed right, or track
the sun... Deficit 92 amps at peak sun. Watt hour deficit... 10,000 watt
hours consumption... 1000 watt hours charging. 10 amps from the
"trickle" charger isn't a trickle but for this load it its. Still in 24
hours there'd be 2400 watt hours charging from the trickle charger, 3400
watts total. Could run the air conditioner every third or fourth day.

I know there are natural gas fired air conditioners, but I didn't find
any one claiming one for propane. It should be possible. It may be more
practical to learn to sweat and to erect a solar reflection canopy over
the Airstream to cut down on its heating. Or to tow the Airstream to a
cooler climate though mosquitoes in Alaska are fairly thick in the
summer time, and prairie land south of there can heat in the summer
time. Perhaps the mountains are that summer spot of coolth.

Gerald J.