RE: [VAC] Shocks? Bambi's and Henschen Axles

Sherry, and Jim Stewart indicate their Bambi's  sit a little high in the
front.  Yet the ball height is lower than the 16 1/2 inch as specified
by the factory.   Since many of our Bambi's will celebrate their 40th
Birthday in the next few months, it leads me to the following
conclusion.
It is not necessarily the shocks.  In 1961, the Henschen Dura Torque
axle was introduced as standard equipment on all Airstreams.  The
Henschen factory, says the rubber in the Dura torque, torsion type axle
settles and loses its elasticity after about 25 years.  Since most of us
Bambi's are pushing 40, except Sherry who is just a young "37". I would
say the rubber axles are probably in need of a rebuild.  This is
possibly true of many of the 1960's models,  I know my 61 has settled,
and bounces badly when I hit bad bumps at some bridges.
Solution,..........have your axle rebuilt at the Henschen factory, about
one mile from the Airstream factory in Jackson Center , Ohio.   I think
you must have your axle removed and shipped for rebuild.   For details,
call the Henschen factory and talk to Jim Kitzmiller, at
(937)-596-6125-X102.  The rebuilt axle should raise your coach a few
inches and change the geometry at the hitch.  It will also change the
travel distance at the shocks and let them perform better.   I have not
yet had my axle rebuilt, but it is a high priority project, next on the
list.

Bill Scott
61 Bambi, VAC & WBCCI #3221
1VP & Membership Chairman , WDCU