[VAC] toilet dilemma

I'm must be boring many of you, but what I thought would be an easy task, is
more complicated then I had thought. So, once again I turn to you all..or..all
y'all. (that's plural)

My '68 Safari deserves a new toilet.  I have been looking dutifully.  Tonight
I went there and measured the area around the existing hole.  I have only 9
inch clearance to the rear of the hole, and 8 inches to either side.  That,
my friends, is quite small.

The toilet I took out is a "Monogram Industries," I don't know the model.  It
is only 8 inches from the center to the outside.  It fits, but the valve doesn't
hold water, or gases!

I never heard of Monogram, and could find nothing on the internet.  It seems
all the Sealand, and Thetford models need a little more space.

The '68, and I'm guessing the '66, and '67's, have a recessed area behind the
toilet that has a clearance of 13 inches, but that is after a 2 inch step at
the bottom at 9 inches, and then at 18 inches high, it goes back to 9, maybe
10 inch.  Effectively keeping the toilet lid/seat from opening.

What to do.

Nick....