Re: [VAC] SUV"s for towing

John,
 Unless your tounge weight is low and the towing vehicle's rear springs
are stiff, you really should have a weight-distributing hitch. The
reason is to transfer some of the tounge weight onto the front wheels of
the tow vehicle and the trailer's wheels. W/O such a hitch, you lighten
the front wheels of the tow vehicle, a situation that gets worse when
you're braking. (the trailer brakes make the tounge go down, levering up
the front of the tow vehicle even more)

I towed my '68 G.T. w/o spring bars, but I have air lifts on the back of
my Dodge P/U to help hold the (only) 400# tounge weight. My present
trailer has well over 600# of tounge weight, and I use the spring bars
along with the air lifts to make the whole rig 'level'.

If your vehicle's manufacturer recommends against a weight distributing
hitch, I'd think twice about towing with it at all.

                                            <<Jim>>