Re: [VAC] Trace Inverters Was Installing New Power Converter

I have been using old UPS's to supply 110 AC from the on board 12 V
batteries.  When parked in a travel trailer park (zoo) I use their
electricity for the air conditioner, microwave and refrigerator.  All of the
other 110 AC things run off of homemade electricity from the 12 V batteries
and the UPS's. The Univolt seems to kill batteries.  It keeps them full all
the time when the AS is plugged into shore power.

I have been looking at Trace Inverters.  They make a UX612SB.  This unit has
a built in 25 A 12 V charger.  Somehow they have circuitry that keeps from
over charging the batteries.  The overhead is 5.0 watts 12 V DC when on
standby and ready to supply up to 600 watts 110 AC normal and over twice
that momentarily, They are supposed to be rated at 92% max efficiency.  To
get the 600 watts 110 AC  the thing uses 63 amps 12 V  at maximum.  Now I
know it is not possible to run the air conditioner but just about everything
else in the AS would be able to work for a while.  All of the above is the
Dean translation of their specification sheet.

The solar panel input to the 12 V batteries is in the neighborhood of 120
amps daily now during the summer.  Where I am going with this is: I think
the AS should have a charger on board that does not harm the batteries.  I
have not had the Univolt turned on since I installed the panels. My present
use of the UPS units is sorta shabby.  They sit around on the floor with
wires running to them 12 V in and out to what ever I am using.  The Trace
unit could provide a moderate amount of 110 VAC. I can buy 600 watt
inverters made in china about four for what the Trace unit costs.

When in the field the refrigerator is on propane.  The thing uses almost ten
kwh 110 AC daily. That is about a buck a day at trailer park prices.

I live in the AS because I like it better than motel rooms.  All of this is
not about a buck thing. Solar is not initially free inverters are not free
neither is propane.  The only thing that is anywhere free is the freedom to
go somewhere and stay for extended lengths of time without attaching the
wire.

It always takes me about twenty sentences to get to the question.  Has
anyone had any experience with the Trace Inverter installed in their AS?

Thanks,

Dean