Re: [VAC] Installing New Power Converter

Steve (or Peter),
    I noticed your e-mail and thought that I might let you know what I just
did. I saw
a recent question about the same subject; a substitute for the Univolt.
    I thought mine worked until I brought it home and found out that it had
"killed" the
new battery just placed into it. I decided to replace it, so after removal
and dismantling, I found that the caps were all shorted from very old
insulation and tight wiring. I bought a new converter (2lbs. compared to 62
lbs. !!!) , BUT where do I connect all the circuits? The best result was
obtained by sawing the front 2 inches of the Univolt (that contains the fuse
box) and connecting the plus and minus 12 volts
from the converter right into the back of it. Works fine and lasts a long
time...
The converter is so light that I mounted it on the wall behind, and now have
more space (and a lot less weight).

' 73 Amb. Int. 29'
' 61 Caravel  22'
                                                            John P.