Re: [VAC] Tongue Weight

Paul,
 The instructions with the Sherline suggested weighing the tounge at the
ball, then at the jack and compare the 2. You'll then know what fudge
factor to use; it's not necessary to go to a whole bunch of trouble to
get EXACT measurements, just in the ballpark.

Personal experience: I have a tandem axle flatbed trailer that I almost
never use. Last year, I dragged it out of the weeds and took it about 8
miles to the site of an auction where I had bought some metal racks. I
don't imagine that the total weight of the racks was much over 1000#,
and we just pushed 'em onto the rear of the trailer. The first set was
about centered over the axles, the others were behind. On the way home,
that trailer wanted to take off if I exceeded about 30MPH, so I took it
REAL easy.

Last W/E, I used that same trailer to haul a load over 30 miles, but I
was reasonably careful to get some weight up front. Had it up to 50 a
couple of times and there was no evidence of sway.

http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm takes you to Sherline's Web Site, right
to the Scale page. They have links on that page to "horror stories", and
a "towing guide". It's all good reading.

                                      <<Jim>>