RE: [VAC] Selecting a New Converter

I replaced our Univolt with a MagneTek 950 Converter/Battery Charger.  It was $263 at my local a/s dealer (Grand Rapids, MI).

The Univolt worked, but it had a wicked hum.  Since it is near the head of our bed, it had to go.  The new one has a small hum.

I have a new battery and have had no problems plugged into shore power or unplugged.   It did run the DC lights without the battery, but it recommends not to use it without.

It fit in the same space as the Univolt (under bathroom tub).  As someone had mentioned, all the DC power distribution has to be moved.  The new model weighs 20 pounds, the old univolt weighed in over twice that.

Dave & Jessi Christensen

’71 Overlander International