Re: [VAC] spare tire spot

Mike, most Trade Winds in the sixties, had a spare tire up front ,
behind the LP tanks, or mounted below the A-fame.  I would discourage
you from mounting anything on that back bumper.  Some of the early frame
failure, and rear frame separation, happened as early as 67, and 68.
Since the factory put the spare up front, that is the place for it.  12%
to 15% of the coaches weight should be on the tongue.  A little extra
will not hurt.  If you are really concerned, travel with less fresh
water in your up front, fresh water tank.  Now, if your 69, has a side
water tank, it won't matter.   More weight on the rear will cause towing
problems, and possible frame problelms, if you travel on rough roads
with heavy loads.   I've seen spares mounted on the rear, but that is
not the place for them.  One final comment, since your 69 Trade Wind is
a tandem axle, you could get by without carrying a spare.  Perhaps a
spare in a "Can" so you can inflate a flat.  Usually if a tire goes flat
on a Tandem axle, it won't hurt to pull it slowly to the next town for
repair.  If you are going to "Belize",  that's another story.

Bill Scott
61 Bambi, VAC & WBCCI #3221
1VP & Membership Chairman , WDCU
http://www.servintfree.net/wbcci-dc/