[VAC] Inherited Leaks.......

We have inherited a 1970 Airstream Caravanner. We have enjoyed reading the e-mails posted by everyone. It’s amazing to receive so many messages everyday. We have a few questions that, hopefully, can be answered by someone in the group.

Our Airstream has a rear bath and it seems that all the plumbing with leaks is hidden behind/under the tub and wall unit in the bathroom.

  1. The gray water tank located behind/under the tub is leaking. The drain from sink to the gray water tank does not leak. How can this be fixed? How in heavens name does one do repair work behind the tub and wall unit? One idea we had was to just cut the drain line and install a new tank in the side cubby. Does anyone have a better solution?
  2.  Another problem is also located behind the tub and wall enclosure. The supply line for the shower is inaccessible from the rear storage compartment. There is a leak in the supply line, of course.  How can this be fixed? We have thought about moving the supply line and the faucet to the side/end of the tub in an area that is accessible from the rear.

 Of course we don’t have any leaks in areas that are accessible! We will winterize faithfully next winter if we can just get these problems solved!

 Rick & Linda

I enjoyed the Wilsonart airstream design project. Though it might not have been exactly what I want in a travel trailer, the fact that the inside matched the exterior was very pleasant. The interior of ours, a gold and green 1970s color scheme, doesn’t begin to match the cool aluminum exterior. I would love to have the Wilsonart colors and finishes in our floor plan, which is one large kitchen/living area with a rear bath. I really liked the use of metallic surfaces and once we get the flooding problem fixed we may try some. ------- Linda

sedgley@uswest.net
Seattle, WA