[VAC] Acid use on aluminum

  I have been reading the bits about polishing and wanted to put my two
cents in. When I polished my 61 Tradewind 3 yrs ago, I tried everything,
which seems to be normal operating proceedure. For polishing and lasting the
Rolite seemed to work the best. I found it at the Oshkosh Airshow for
airplane use. I did a few areas with other polishes to begin with but the
areas done with Rolite held up the longest. One thing I tried was an acid
wash, it was specifically made for aluminum, I believe the acid name started
with an f but I cannot remember the name. I know it smelled exactly like an
acid that was sold for use in pleping metals for soldering. My trailer had a
lot of oxidation, the acid attacked it and turned it very bright silver. I
think it helped to get the oxidation off with the acid but it still required
many hours of polishing. Now after 3yrs I need to go over it again to remove
the cloudiness, I am wondering if it would be worthwile to use the acid
again? Has anyone had experience with it on shiny aluminum? I know it is the
same thing used to clean aluminum semis.  Also when I was polishing
originally, I compared a section of the roof that was polished to an
unpolished section next to it and there was a tremendous head difference
sitting in the Texas sun in summer.  Phil