Re: [VAC] retrofitting my 1955 22' flying cloud with modern amenities

I've replaced all of the items you mentioned.  I'll give you what I did but
you and others should determine if they are "best".  What is "best" for me
may not be for you.

Roof A/C
I got a Dometic Penguin with electric strip heater.  Brought new wiring to
the unit and ran a drain hose thru the wall.

Heating System
I put in a propane heater called Newport and made by Dickinson.  Actually
it's called a propane fireplace.  You can see it at

http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/1products.htm

This unit looks great but I was sold on the unit because it brings air for
combustion in from the outside and also exhausts to the outside.  So the
interior will be free of any fumes.  I can also suppliment the heat with
the Penguin.

Fridge
Put in a Dometic Americana model 2652.  This is a really nice unit with a
separate freezer section.  I had it on for two weeks continuous while
traveling to and from the International in Bismarck.  I put in a new vent
chimney, new AS roof vent and vent collar.  The collar had to be shortened
slightly to fit between the ribs but was not difficult to do.

Water Heater
I put in a Precision Temp on-demand water heater.  It works great.  Have
hot water as long as you have water.

Tires
I put on Goodyear Marathon ST225R75 15 tires.  These are load range D tires
and will carry 2540# each.  This may be an over kill since I actually have
not weighed my AS but with a single axle I wanted some insurance.  Don't
forget the wheels.  Get wheels that match or exceed the tire ratings.  I
went to t trailer shop and got wheels rated at 2600# each.

Hope this helps some.  Good luck!

Garnett
60 Caravanner (working on a gray water tank)
WDCU