Re: [VAC] Vista Vues

Eric,

I already had some left over from some years
ago when I put it on the inside of the windows of
my 69 AS.  I bought it at a plastic center in San Antonio.
There are two films together from the factory. I cleaned
the outside of the vista vue windows with Windex and
then used single edge razor blades to clean again. The
surface has to be absolutely clean. Then you have a
spray bottle with about a pint of water and about
one half teaspoon of Ivory dish soap to spray on the
glass. The film is separated from the backing Mylar and
it just slides into place. Next there is squeeze-ee work to
get all of the air bubbles out from between the reflectorized
film and the glass. If you mess it up it needs to be removed
that same day.  Just do it again until it is right. After it is installed
just razor the edges to fit and squeeze-ee again. Helps to have a
cloth to pick up the moisture around the edges.

There is an aside here. If you install larger areas as in the
windows of the AS then you can use the clear Mylar
backing as a clear film (has no sticky) to place over the
screen door. I just use clear packing tape. Helps cure
claustrophobia and lets nosy folks look in.

The stuff came with better instructions than this.

You have likely seen the stuff installed in cars.  Folks
try to put it on compound curves. I will not fit in a dish
or the back window of a car. Works ok with the single
curve ov the vista vue.

The stuff came in several colors silver, gray, bluish,
and brownish. I think it was about two bucks a running
foot about 30 inches wide. That was eight or so years ago.

Still on the '69 and still applied ok a few months ago on
the '79.

Others may have a better way.

Hope this helps.

Dean