[VAC] sticky shower

my guess is that it is an early plastic problem. I think it might be the
plastic _itself_that is sticky rather then a coating on it. try getting some
of the sticky stuff up with your fingernail and see if it appears to be the
plastic or some other goo. It is also possible that some sort of adhesive
covering was put on it and you are left with the residue of it, which can
defy many cleaning compounds.  If that is the case I would think about
trying Crisco (shortening) on a small spot, rub it on and let it sit for a
while   or overnight, then wipe off and clean with a standard cleaner. Then
move on to solvents (paint thinner, alcohol and on up) But  ***be warned***
using solvents, especially those stronger then paint thinner, on any
plastic esp. old plastic is riding the fine line between
bravery&intelligence and foolhardy ignorance.  Start small  and watch
closely.