[VAC] Pre-Bismarck

I am not the one to talk about the Wagon Wheel, because I joined them
over half way at New Town, ND, where I had just fought a 45 mph headwind
from over half of North Dakota.  When I joined the Wagon Wheel, the
Wagon Masters had everything in total control and people were getting
ready for Bismarck.  Pat Ewing and Kathy Hunt had everything quite well
organized.  We moved on to Washburn, near where Lewis and Clark wintered
over their first year with the Mandan and Arikira tribes.   We had a
Buffalo Bar B Que, and some nice baked beans.  Sunday AM we moved out to
the Kirkwood Mall in Bismarck, to make ready for the parade into the
rally area on Monday.  The wind and little bit of rain sputtered out,
and left us with a nice parking area, near the Civic center, and most of
us went ahead and registered Monday morning.  About 2pm the excitement
began to build, and the police escort showed up for the parade into the
rally site.  The CB's started to chatter, everyone began to button up
and make ready for the final move.   At 2;30pm  we started the grand
parade of about 45 Vintage coaches into the rally site.  When we reached
the Bull Pen, we had to circle and form up, put the flags up and circled
the rally site before parking.   Everyone was out applauding our grand
entrance.   It is really nice to be appreciated by so many wonderful
people.
We pulled in to a rather rough, but freshly mown Alfalfa field, got
parked, and within minutes, had our electric and water hooked up and
pumping.   We had the VAC happy hour every afternoon at 4, and it drew
quite a crowd.   The work just started for me, what with Judges, and
hand outs, and rules, and judging sheets and getting the ribbons and
certificates and trophies.   The Concours d'Elegance and Open House was
only 3 days away.
We now have 47 Vintage coaches in the VAC parking area, later we will
pick up one more to make it 48.   The total attendance from the tote
board was about 1290 units.    The gas crisis seemed to put a damper on
Bismarck at the last moment. This is the smallest  Int'l Rally I have
attended in the last 5 years.   The crowd was small but the weather was
great.  It got down into the 50's at nite, and was the best sleeping
weather I have ever experienced.  More tomorrow, when we actually talk
about,........the winners, Members Choice, and Best of Show.

Bill Scott
Concours Steward
Concours d'Elegance 2000
Vintage Airstream Club