Re: [VAC] Black tank removal steps....'68 Safari

Here's my update on black water tank removal for the '64 Safari, as Nick
asked:
I only get to work on the thing when I goty to where we keep it in the
Mountains. Had it home recently, due to the approaching forest fire near us
(Colorado) While I did not think the fire would reach it, they were closing
down the roads to get there, so I took a long way around, and yanked the
Safari off the lot. We took it back up last weekend.
 I was sucessful removing the tin box around the tank, having peeled down the
skin below. I reversed it and peeled it FORWARD underneath, which gave me the
clearance to get at the remaining 4 bolts (I broke them off of course- one
look told me the rust was way too much to even bother) Got the pan down with
some  muscle and cursing, since it was hanging up on the vent from the
heating system ( having only learned of it the other day on this FINE LIst!!,
I knew what to expect) That vent was a 1 1/2 inch galv tube, which was
catching on the mounting flange at top. Inow have this lovely peice in my
truck at home to clean up the insuluation(fiberglass batts) and assess the
condition.
My other goal, to remove the waste valve also was accomplished. The two
bottom screws were so badly corroded, the heads were gone. I chisled around
them to remove the valve, and CAREFULLY used the ViceGrips to turn what was
left of the screw (nub) out. I did not want to mess up the mounting holes on
the tank, and i think I'm in the clear with that. Now, to find a suitable
remplacement that will allow th grey water to join after the waste gate. Any
recommedations from the list? Valterra?/ Thetford?others?
Going to Denver this week to lay eyes on a new toilet at Camping world. It is
something I don't want to buy on the internet, I have to see it to know if
it's "right".
That's my update, and thanks to the list for others input & support. Jere
Potter 1877
Fort Collins, CO