Re: [VAC] Model variations between years

    Direct answer: I don't know.  I do not know the floor plan of the 1964
Falcon pictured on pps 90-91 in Bryan Burkhart's book, so can only guess why
the windows were arranged like that.  I was answering Roy's question about
factory use of  the "Falcon" model name.

    I  described a 1959 model 22' Falcon whereas the photos on pps. 90-91 of
Bryan Burkhart's books shows a 1964 Falcon.  They are not directly comparable
and are different trailers notwithstanding the same model name.   Think of
A/S model names like car models names, and you might soon realize a 1959
Chevy Impala would differ quite a bit from the 1964 Chevy Impala.   Same with
Airstream trailers.

    The physical layout for he various model names used by Airstream in the
early years (purposely vague and elastic term) changed annually, if not more
often.  In fact, there were different floor layouts for the double and twin
versions of the same model in the same year.  Floor layouts for the few
(many?) standard production models like the Flying Cloud changed from year to
year as thinking evolved and improvements were introduced.   Add on top of
that the fact Airstream would gladly move things around in a trailer for
customers and the variations become mind-numbing (but a fine numbness it
is!).

   The VAC is trying to gain knowledge in this area by collecting A/S sales
literature for each year, originals preferred but photocopies happily
accepted.  Annual catalogs and single page sale sheets often show the floor
layout for a particular model for a particular year.  Our collection is small
but growing.  Every page we add increases our knowledge.  Once we have enough
pages of sales materials and gather more field survey information, we will
better be able to see trends over time, make generalizations about model
features, and better identify unmarked trailers by model name (and perhaps
year) through features such as the window placement you mention.  But it will
take a while to gather and sport all that information.

   Factory sales literature is a reliable (but not flawless) source of
information for matching trailers to a model name through their interior and
exterior features.  I'll mention some facts on this site from time to time
when I have some hard data to contribute to a discussion or directly answer a
question.

   In the meantime, here is a patriotic holiday request.  Anyone with
Airstream sales literature in encouraged to mail any extra originals or
clear, clean photocopies to the VAC Archives at:

Fred Coldwell
VAC Archive Historian
2031 Krameria Street
Denver, CO.  80207-3928