[VAC] The Satin-Patina Revolution of 2000

 I've been away for about two weeks because of a dieing computer ( now fixed
and up graded, still no printer or scanner. that's next ). When I returned ,
I noticed many new faces ( names ) on the list. (more victims to bore with my
innane ramblings and babbling) I also noticed that most of the regular
posters are not here. (they're all gone yonder t' Bismark) Some of the MIA
have been playing with with Airstreams for quite awhile,. When they return
they hopfully will comment on the pros an cons of  the "satin look". In the
mean time , I'll run down my experience with bare aluminum.             First
some of the Pro Shine faction might think, " Where did this goofball come up
with this 'satin' with shiney details look, and the notion it would be easier
to keep clean?"   Where did I get this goofy idea?  (use your best old
codger's voice imitation) Well let me tell you shhonny.......A long,long,long
(two longs are enough I'm not that old)(damn point n speak) time ago when I
was just a yungun', I built nice looking low buck custom motorcicles. Many
folks do this to the engine and tranny and it looks good. Entire bikes done
up with this low cost simplicity look good and are very easy to keep clean
and looking good.  First all bare aluminum is sand or bead blasted
(prefference call) so it has a nice clean but unpolised rough surface. All of
the nuts, bolts , washers and such are chromed . Same with some of the outer
covers . Just the right balance of clean bare metal to shiney chromed detail.
This is also very easy to keep clean. Just spray with engine degreaser, let
sit a few minutes, spray off towel dry the shiney stuff. Yer done. The engine
cleaner on the bare aluminum usually doesn't let spots form as the water
dries and keeps oxidation down to about zip. Very low maintinence.     To me
the skin on my A/S is like the motor case on my bikes, and the rivets and
fittings are the chrome covers and fasteners. Just larger. Much larger. I
realize that the aluminum in my motor cases and the aluminum used for my A/S
are different types of aluminum, but, I think the results will be the same.
Spray with degreaser,let stand for ten minutes, spray off with water, dry
shiney stuff, go play. Before I  forget..Don't do this in the sun. It dries
the degreaser too fast.                             The sander I used on my
test area is a Black & Decker  Mouse sander/polisher.   I just used the
schotch bright pads in thier scrubbing kit. Red- course, white- fine,
foam-polish. I did not use the foam. The rivets polished up by simply
ignoring them and worryin about cleaning the seams and the area around them.
(the the rivets must be a harder aluminum) So for a nice slightly custom look
that should be easy to maintain , this is the way I am going with my A/S. I
did not use any compounds or polish, just the dry scotch bright padds. I hope
I answered everyones questions on what I am up to. Scallops would look cool
too. This may be the first beginings of the customized A/S exterior trend.
(ooooo the purists are gonna roast me good for that horrible idea)
{{{>:o)>       Trike #5384  Burnt Toast