Re: [VAC] Belly skin replacement...

I got my new bellypan material at a place called Metal Distributors in
Columbia, SC. They formerly went by the name The Loxcreen Company, Inc.
:(803) 776-0200 The item # is MAP WW 032 48096 V. Maybe they can give you
the alloy # or the mfr., and you can track down a source in your area.

I didn't go in asking for a specific alloy, just the approx. correct
thickness, which I measured to be .032".  I bought (4) 4' x 8' sheets,
painted white both sides, for  .... hang on to your wallets .... $27.87.
each! I'll redo the entire bellypan for less than $120. My receipt does not
mention which alloy it is, but I'd guess 3003, 6061, or 6063.

 I prefer the painted white surfaces, since that will be more resistant to
corrosion. It seems to be a VERY tough paint surface, because I tried
stripping a small scrap in a place that would show. Hard work. I left the
perimeter of my bellypan in place (the part that shows), and will patch in
the white stuff in the areas that don't show (about 95% of the bellypan).
Don't spend that kind of money on an alloy you don't need in a place that
doesn't show. In my opinion, this is a superior material at a very
reasonable price.

Bob Harper
'62 Globe Trotter in SC