[VAC] H2O Help!

I have an early 62 Bambi that had some unfinished plumbing work done
when I bought it.  Whatever it originally had installed from the factory
has been replaced with a slightly oversized poly tank.  It was plumbed
in at the fill pipe, and the city water is directly hooked up, but the
poly tank and 12v pump out were never plumbed.

My question is:  how do you plumb the pump into the line?  Is there some
kind of backflow device that goes in both sides of the 'Y' supply, or is
there a valve used, or what?  How do you plumb both sides to work and
prevent backflow into the other?

Thanks!

Roger Hakeman