Re: [VAC] Battery Overcharging

The univolt on my 1974 27' Overlander stopped recharging this spring. I sent
it to a shop and they replaced the three capacitors at $20 each. The
technician that did the work gave me much info about the unit and battery
charging in general. He said; that it was a perfectly effective converter and
is incapable of "overcharging" the battery, that the unit should never
receive household current without a working battery in place and that
although replacing it would result in a much quieter unit that the fuse box
would have to be relocated and I would loose the "power on light" and my
ammeter. He also said that the most popular reason for the failure of the
univolt is that it is trying to charge either a dead or dry (water level
should be checked often) battery or no battery at all.
    In short, he fixed my unit for $60.00 and it now works great.
Charles