Re: [VAC] Lock Cylinders

Terry:
Actually I got a number of replies, none of which hit the nail on the head.
I own a 1969 27' international.  It has the original airstream lockset in the
door,  which has a handle with "airstream" cast into it on the outside, and a
small flat handle on the inside.  The only indication of a brand name is the
label "Chesler T-5". The key says "Chesler, Woodmere NY, made in Hong Kong".
Shocking as it may be to some vintage Airstreamers that imported parts were
used by Airstream, the device either is OEM or is a factory authorized
replacemant. It is also possible  that the cylinder may  imported, while the
lockset is Domestic.

As a sheer guess,  it resembles a modern Bargman, although knobs have now
replaced handles.  It works fine except the cylinder in the center of the
handle no longer takes a key.   The keyway (ie the slot that the key goes
into)  wore out and and all the little pins and springs fell out or rusted
away.    I do not want to replace it.  But I do want to find a replacement
cylinder.  Cylinders are replaced all the time, it is just a matter of
finding one that fits.

May people advised me to put in a deadbolt.  This is also attractive to me,
except it requires a fairly big hole that must be precisely aligned and it
would be difficult to set it up so that the interior knob was accessible
through the screen door.  If I go this route Home Depot has a commercial
deadbolt in brushed Stainless steel for about $12.
                    Ed Farrell