Re: [VAC] AC

It is possible to create such an alternator that can stand varying speed
from the engine. But when at a camp site its not efficient to run a 150
HP engine to produce 2500 watts (3 HP). These days the inverter
technology has improved and its far more effective to run an inverter
off the battery and charge the battery from the tow vehicle alternator
when driving. Except for the battery that would be one way of making an
alternator that was speed tolerant. Just to package it as a single unit
to make it look like a simple device.

There also used to be auxiliary regulators for some car/truck
alternators that could make them produce 120 volts DC for power tools.
That probably meant the alternator had to be turning fairly fast and
probably fried more than its share of diodes in the alternators. I don't
see such an accessory available anymore.

With a semi truck size alternator such as made by the Leece-Neville
company it would be possible to use a transformer connected to the
stator terminals to get high frequency (400 to 1000 Hz) AC for various
purposes. I've been considering do that on my field tractor to have
better charging and to supply AC for electric power tools that I could
use to clean brush from the fences. Or I might just install the
alternator for more battery charging power and buy an inverter. Or I
might let the mulberry grow a few more years and use it to make wildly
colored wood working projects.

Gerald J.