Re: [VAC] First trip out

Hi Pete and Peggy,

It's your call, but there are considerations besides weight of the water.
From where I stand, these are of more importance = MY biased opinion:

First consideration: Whenever I have a reliable source of water, I keep the
fresh tank topped off. On more than one occasion, we have not liked the
taste of local water, the campground was repairing the water system, or the
amount of particle matter in the water was visible when we sampled the water
before hooking up our hose. We always do a taste and visual test (clear
plastic cup) at the campground faucet before connecting. The difference in
weight between traveling empty or full (for us) is insignificant to the
confidence we have in our own water when we get there.

Second consideration #1 is lower on the scale of probability, but if we need
it we have it. Example: On more than one occasion, we have visited a garage
(all day) for unexpected repairs to our tow truck. No water in the our tank
would mean no flushing the toilet while we're waiting in the trailer. And,
if we were "invited" to stay the night while parts were flown in, our choice
would be the Airstream without water or scrounge up water at the repair
shop. If their water supply was heavy sulfur tasting water, this would add
insult to injury. Or, we could rent a motel room. How much does it cost to
carry a tank of water/rent a motel room?

Second consideration #2 is lower on the scale of probability, but if we need
it we have it. Example: On more than one occasion, we have stopped and
offered help to another RVer with an overheating problem on their tow
vehicle. One time, we learned THEIR water tank was empty, because they
didn't want to carry the weight. In my opinion, they knew the tow truck's
cooling capacity was marginal at the outset. Before they left home, their
level of knowledge was insufficient to make a good judgement call, so they
took the easy way out instead of taking the time to find out. Good
Samaratians (Airstream Angels) help anyone who needs it.

Second consideration #3 is lower on the scale of probability, but if we need
it we have it. Example: On more than one occasion, we have stopped and
offered to help at an accident site. Invariably, water is needed, but no one
had enough to satisfy more than a token offering. We had an outside faucet,
30 gallons of water and easily satisfied the need. On a hot, humid day in
the broiling sun, next to macadam, in a highly charged emotional setting,
small children with small injuries can be overwhelmed quickly. Although I'm
not a medical doctor, I know my first aid and will use this knowledge in an
emergency situation. Having water I know is pure can be very helpful.

The question is: carry water or don't carry water. Everyone has to decide
that for themselves. It's your call.

Terry