Re: [VAC] Miscellaneous 12 volt Appliances

Please be careful of these items, they are commonly
available in the chain discount stores and for the most
part are just what you'd expect from them. Note that none
are "name brand". I have had experience at other web
sites and read many articles on these type 12 vdc
products and they never seem to last (we had a fan just
like the one shown here die after three or four days of
commuter traffic use). I would invit Gerald to do the
math on the 12VDC hair dryer just to see how much heat it
can produce along with air movement. I suspect not
much...and certainly not worth the cost in battery usage.
There are good 12vdc appliances, but they ARE expensive,
and fairly hard to find. There are curling irons that use
butane cylinder catridges for heat. There ARE
ALTERNATIVES to the cheap 12 volt appliances, it just
takes some looking. Most of the solar sites will have
links, as do the altenative living sites and the
"survivalist" sites, and the boating world (check west
marine) too. Again, be careful of ANY heat producing
items running off 12volts...they will eat mr battery
alive.

Ralph