[VAC] rivet stems

I just wanted to add my thoughts on the rivet stems that break short.
 In my experience riveting aircraft skins, the stem broke short if the length
of the rivet was too short for the thickness of the material. You had to measure
the thickness with a gauge, and use the correct length rivet.  Of course, if
you used a rivet too long, the stem would break off too high???

When I installed the "Olympics" on my Safari, most broke high and I ground them
down.  Some broke way early, and I believe it was because there was something
in the way of the rivet working the way it was designed.  In a few areas, the
holes were drilled too close to a frame (someone had drilled holes over the
windows, and didn't know the frame was there) and the rivets didn't have a chance
to pull up I guess, and the pressure made the stems snap early.  I just filled
the stem hole with Vulkem.  Not the greatest I guess, but it looks OK.

The alternative would be to install a screw instead, or maybe a really short
blind rivet.  That's why I was asking about the lenghts of these Olympic rivets,
but I guess they are more forgiving than others.

A really good quality rivet, but probably expensive, is a "Cherry."  I'm not
familiar with shooting them by hand, we used air guns that were quite complicated,
but the lengths were measured for each hole, and all the rivet stems broke flush.
 It was a very nice finish.

Anyone else familiar with these rivets?

I am going to buy a hand rivet tool and a bunch of different sized pop rivets
this week.  I have no experience with this type..any favorites?

PS I called Inland for a rear door(one stop)..they manufacture them....for 225!
 They say they're nice.

Nick
'68 Safari