[VAC] Tail lights and model year

This is another area where you can , at a glance, get an idea of what
year and model.   It gets a little complex, so don't hang your hat on it
.  The  Trail-Lite No 99, by Theo Bargman, Detroit , Michigan was used
as early as 1955, maybe earlier.  It is the one that Pearl so aptly
describes as looking like a tiered wedding cake, with 3 tiers.  The lens
is exactly 6 1/2 inches  in  diameter, and is no longer made.  That
TRAIL-LITE, was used extensively in the mid fifties, (Bubbles) late
fifties, and in the sixties up to as late as 1968.  It was not the
exclusive tail light.  Some of the larger coaches, like Ambassadors, and
some mid sixties Globetrotters used a different tail light that had a
housing that wrapped around the rear quarter panels.
A replacement lens was made by 2 different companies, as a Universal
replacement , sometimes with 6 screw holes instead of the original 3
holes.  Many of us on this list, have jumped thru the hoops of (1)
trying to get Bargman to pull the molds out of storage, and make another
limited run of perhaps several thousand lenses for the Vintage market.
Unfortunately, Bargman, according to their representative Ms. Champion,
no longer has the molds.  Even if they did, a small run like that is not
profitable. (2) SAE, Auto lite, or Auto standard, or some such name that
made the replacement lenses, has not been contacted, that I know of, but
they no longer produce the lens either. (3) Some people have purchased
new lenses from Jim Dunmyer, who had a source that made a few lenses
from a custom mold. Very pricey at $50 per lens.
(4)  Since there are literally thousands of coaches out there that have
two Bargman Trail-Lite 99's, perhaps another letter writing campaign to
Bargman or the other 2 companies, might create enough need to get them
to make another run of the lenses.  (5)  Some people have replaced their
99's with a 6 inch or 7 inch Signal Stat, with a chrome or Stainless
Steel ring, with a flush mount.  The Signal-Stat lights are quality
made, reasonably priced, and used on Millions of trucks here and abroad.
Easy to find at all truck supply stores. (6) Finally, one of our members
has replaced his 99's with a beautiful Bus Tail light with a nice chrome
ring.  I know you didn't want to hear the whole story, but I thought I
would cover the bases, so we don't get off on a spur track.  If anyone
else has an idea on replacements for the Bargman 99's, please let us
know.  One final item.  Some of the later lenses made by Bargman, when
you look closely, the "99"  looks like a "98" because the mold got a
little dirty and its like the mis printed coin.  It is still a "99".
Now, does anyone have a "Source"  for replacements????

Bill Scott
61 Bambi---with 99's
66 Trade Wind-- with 99's