[VAC] Polishing notes from the front...

Hello guys,

Just finished polishing my 1957 22' Caravanner with Rolite products, and it
looks pretty good, if I do say so myself.  The advice I got from this group
was a real lifesaver, and it made me feel 100% more confident about doing the
job.  Just a few observations to add to the info pile for anyone out there
contemplating a shine:

1.  If your polisher doesn't do at least 1500 RPM (that's for cutting tough
oxidation, then down to 1000 for softer polishing), and have a feature that
allows you to keep the machine locked in the "on" position, you will REALLY
be making life tougher than it needs to be.  Consider an upgrade.

2.  Be careful with the substance you use to wipe the polish residue off
with!  I failed to notice the very fine print on a bottle of 409 cleaner
(which said: "not recommended for aluminum"), I used it on the skin and
clouded it up...that set me back one full day and I had to repolish one side
of the trailer again.  Arrgh!  Lots of good cleaners out there, but read the
labels and don't use ammonia.

3.  Consider these new words to live by: you can NEVER have too many clean
towels!  You need a goodly amount to wipe off black polish residue,
especially if you want to finish quickly and are polishing big sections of
the trailer at one time, as I did.

4.  Consider a sponge buffer pad.  I used the "fuzzy" pads at first (from
Lake Co. Mfg.) in various thicknesses, but the 3M sponge pad I purchased
later cut better, didn't produce the annoying fuzz balls that stick all over
you, made less of a mess, and stayed on my polisher (DeWalt model #849) much
more securely.

And finally, if the weather is sunny...get ready for some serious involuntary
tanning on your arms and face!

Jon Amores #2671