Re: [VAC] rotten rearend

Kent, I haven't replaced cross members between the main frame channels,
but I've repaired. Mine just needed welding and a small patch on one member.
I think any good welding shop should be able to handle the job for you, and
if they're good, they'll protect your flammable surfaces while doing
it.

The best advice I can give is to get the belly pan off and deal with
everything below floor level at the same time. There may be more surprises,
and now is the time to look. Mine was full of bugs and acorns and rust
flakes, and I'm really glad (now that I'm not rust colored anymore) that I
did it. I didn't remove the entire belly pan. I left about 8' around the
perimeter, since that's where the tricky bending and darting (if you do that
in aluminum) is. I will connect new bellypan material to old (old lapped
over new in front and on sides, old under new at back). I bought 4' x 8'
sheets of aluminum at a metals dealer for about $20 each, and it's painted
white both sides.

My guess is that both fiberglass parts were originals. Mine had similar
items in a different layout.

Bob Harper
'62 Globetrotter in SC