RE: [VAC] Materials estimate?

Dear John:  I went back through receipts and found the following for our
1961 22 foot trailer. Trailer $1500; interior restoration including new
vinyl floor and Zolotone paint, remove/refinish/reinstall cabinets, water
system, water heater, refrig, toilet, futon, cushions & covers, curtains
$3500; axle, brakes, wheels, tires, and A/C repairs $1500.  Yet to do:
heater ~$500, gray water tank??, and polish.  We had a workable stove,
kitchen sink, tub/shower, bathroom sink, and sewage tank.  Hours not
included (over 1 year off and on), not much effort in the winter in Idaho.
I originally thought I would sell it, but a long trip in our '61 Bambi
changed that plan.  We sold the Bambi and kept the bigger one.

We also had original unpainted cabinets.  I would not have bought it without
the unpainted cabinets, just because I am not a cabinet designer/maker.  We
had a new countertop made for the kitchen but there was enough of the old
one for a pattern.  We were able to find a gold flecked laminate to match
the original still in good shape on the upper cabinet doors.  Also we have
the original funky brass hinges and handles.  The metal trim along the
cabinet edges was dirty and had some paint, but polished up great.  Hardware
guys noted that new trim is nowhere near that quality.

Why did I do it? My main reason was to have a relatively light, easy to pull
trailer with a permanent bed.  I also like to fix things. And Denise wanted
an oven. We love it. -- Martin