[VAC] greywater/blackwater management

We have a '68 Caravel with a 12 gallon blackwater tank and no greywater tank.  The blackwater tank is missing the gate valve and proper cap; we have them on order (obviously we haven't used the toilet yet!).  I am beginning to come to some glimmer of understanding about how these systems work but that only brings more questions.

What I think I understand so far is that the greywater exits right past the blackwater tank gate valve, and before the cap.  The cap has a hose fitting on it.  It sounds like we have these alternatives when camping:

1.  Sewer hookup.  In this case the greywater goes straight down the sewer hose, and we keep the blackwater gate valve shut and periodically open it to let it flush out.  When leaving, the gate valve is closed and the sewer hose is disconnected and the cap (with the hose fitting closed) is replaced.

2.  No sewer hookup, OK to dump greywater on ground.  In this case the gate valve is left shut and a hose is attached to the cap to run the greywater somewhere away from the trailer.  When leaving, the hose is disconnected and you drive to the nearest dump station to get rid of the blackwater.

3.  No sewer hookup, can't dump greywater on ground.  Now it starts to sound really messy.  Either don't produce any greywater (no hand washing), or else leave the sewer cap on and open the gate valve so that the greywater backs up into the blackwater tank.  When able to dump the blackwater tank, close the gate valve, remove the cap (spilling some amount of nasty water in the process, hopefully into a bucket and not all over your hands), attach the sewer hose and dump the tank.

Am I on target?  If not, please enlighten me. :-)

How do people manage when boondocking?  How many places don't have hookups and don't allow greywater on the ground?  How about overnighting at Walmarts and such???  Assuming you are able to run the greywater on the ground, how long can you typically go before you have to find a dump station?

Thanks in advance!

Cynthia