Re: [VAC] Where is the extra weight?

Hi John,

In your note, you asked,

"Presumably the underlying construction is the same for these two trailers and they are about the
same length so why does one weigh twice as much as the other?"

That's a good question. I don't have a definitive answer. But, I can tell you some of the
differences in spite of the underlying construction seeming to be the same.

1 - There is significantly less woodwork and fewer storage compartments inside.

When inside the lighter weight one, it feels like one big room whereas in the heavier one, the
living room feels separate from the kitchen area and the bathroom is separated by a pocket door and
bulkhead from the kitchen.

Two years ago, I disassembled all the woodwork in the heavier one, sanded it, polyurethaned it and
reinstalled it. When I think of doing the same job in the lighter one, there will be half or less
than half of the woodwork to do. And the wood in the lighter one is thinner than the wood in the
heavier trailer.

2 - In the lighter one, there are half as many overhead cabinets, they are smaller and made of a
molded fiber type substance instead of wood.

3 - Outside, there is no storage compartment associated with the bumper on the lighter one. On the
heavier one, there is a good size storage compartment which is surrounded and reinforced with welded
angle iron.

4 - There is room for one battery in the lighter one and room for two batteries in the heavier one.

5 - The lighter one has 20# propane bottles, the heavier one has 30# bottles.

6 - The lighter one has no banana wrap at the front while the heavier one has a full banana wrap
below the trim line.

7 - The lighter one has a small black water tank resting on the floor inside the trailer toward the
wheel well. The heavier one has a larger black water tank below the floor with considerable angle
iron welded on both sides of the frame and forward toward the wheel wells securing it in place.

8 - The lighter one is not as high inside when standing up as the heavier one.

9 - The lighter one doesn't have full length industrial grade carpet with a dense cushion padding
beneath it.

Both trailers have been towed by the same Suburban (6.2L diesel) and the lighter one presents
noticeably less challenge to the pulling power of the truck when climbing mountains.

One of the reasons for buying the lighter one was so this particular truck could do the job with
less stress on its components. I like a tow vehicle that can handle a trailer with ease under
ordinary situations, yet perform superbly when I ask it to grunt.

Secondly, I wanted a trailer that wouldn't be stressed out by its own weight. Whether true or not,
it seems like less maintenance is required and reliable functioning is more likely to occur for
longer periods of time.

Our other two tow vehicles are far too capable for the lighter weight trailer. They are best suited
for towing our other two trailers which weigh twice to three times as much. For the heavier of the
22 footers, our Van is definitely overkill. Our Mercury Wagon is overkill too, but it's very
comfortable, the air conditioner blows snowflakes when outside temperatures are in the 90s and it's
Sandie's favorite summertime tow vehicle.

Like I said initially, I don't know why there is such a weight difference. It's hard to believe
these nine casual observations account for the difference. There has to be something I've overlooked
because of my own ignorance. If I didn't have two certified weight slips, I might have thought I was
mistaken, because like you, I've been assuming the underlying construction was the same. Now that
you asked the question and I've begun thinking about the differences, I can see where the lighter
one has a few pounds less weight to it.

This is more answer than you asked for. My apologies for that. But, it is a puzzlement to me too.

Terry

1963 22' Flying Cloud
1967 22' Safari
1977 31' Excella 500