Re: [VAC] Buying a new (old) Airstream

Hi Gary,

In your posting, you wrote:

> Last, but not least, is $3800 to $4000 appropriate for an
>Airstream in this condition?  I love it (and so does my daughter--my wife's
>not sure), and would like to jump at it, but I'm a novice.  I'd appreciate
>any advice or information--Thank you.  --Gary Lewis

For now - for today - the seller might accept a nominal non-refundable deposit on it while you take
week or more to intensely investigate how to resolve the concerns you've identified. Within that
process will be deciding what you must do to deal with each concern, identifying the cost of parts
and other supplies, the cost of labor (yours or whomever) and the cost of time for accomplishing it,
i.e.  if you want to use the rig during your upcoming vacation and need it ready by then, someone's
time will be involved.

Part of being successful at any new endeavor is being realistic about what it will take to do it.
Most of us on this list are "driven by the dream" and put a lot of effort into staying firmly
grounded in our assessment of what's real. It's not uncommon for any of us to describe our vintage
as "albatross" or "money pit" or any number of other "fondly used" but disparaging terms. Those of
us who went into the purchase knowing about this aspect have been able to sustain our forward
momentum. Those of us who suddenly and unexpectedly have the sinking feeling of being way in over
their heads have a tougher time with it. It's hard to get the momentum back from a position of being
dead in the water.

By putting a price tag on what it will take to have the rig ready when you want to use it and adding
that cost to what will you pay just to bring it into your own backyard would seem closest to the
real initial price you will be paying. That could be very helpful when comparing and contrasting
this particular Airstream with others you might find as your search continues (it never ends).

After rereading you note, there is one other point. Perhaps I shouldn't comment on it. I'm not a
meddler in family relationships. But, if there was ever a time when family agreements need to be at
maximum top priority, the time is before you spend your money.  It makes ALL the difference in the
world when ALL family members are ready to invest 110% of their energy and enthusiasm into what will
become a consuming family project for the next many years. I could go on, but -- enough said.

I'm sure others on the list have suggestions,

Terry