Re: [VAC] Battery venting

Hi rlashway@zianet.com (Lashway),

In your posting, you asked:

>HAVE YOU YOUSED YOUR SOLER SET UP  FOR ALL 8 YEARS ON THES  BATTERS ??  IF
>SO WHAT  BRAND  SOLAR SELS DO YOU YOUSE ???      IM GETING REDY TO DO A
>SOLER SET UP  AND THER IS A BOUT  A MILLION  DIFRENT  RITE NOW I YOUSE 2 6
>VOLT GOLF CART  BATTERS   I DO A LOT  OF  BONDOCKIN IN THE BLURIDGE MOUNTINS
>   CHARLES  IN   VA.   HAPY CAMPING >From: rlashway@zianet.com (Lashway)

My answer:

Seven to eight years is common place for those of us with solar panels. In my own case, I have a
different size and different number of panels on each of my Airstreams and all batteries in all
Airstreams have been healthy and strong. The oldest ones are 7 years and the youngest are 5 years.

Five years ago, my longest lasting batteries were 7 years 9 months. Perhaps they would have lasted
longer. But with an upcoming trip back into Mexico for 8 months, I chose to replace them. They are
currently my youngest batteries. I'll be using that Airstream this coming Winter in the Southwest
where boondocking will be commonplace.

Why am I telling you this? In my opinion, it doesn't matter what brand of solar panels are used.
There may be VAC members who think otherwise. I'm sure they'll pipe up and say so. If you'd like to
know more about solar from a man who knows his stuff, try Noel Kirkby's website at:

http://www.RVSolarElectric.com

It is rich with background information and his books are outstandingly easy to understand.
If you have not read Phred Tinseth's poop sheets on solar, give him a glance, too. His website is
at:

httfp://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html

Be careful when you start reading. His style can become addictive and his humor may sit you up
straight. He offers his email address in case you'd like to ask questions directly.

Have fun picking out your solar panels,

Terry