Re: [VAC] Hi/axle costs

I replaced the Hadco axle on my '61 Safari in 1996. Cost for the parts was
$760.00 which included all electric braking components, and $130 in labor for
a certified welder to cut out and reweld the axle to the frame.

I noticed when I bought the trailer that there were no visible shock
absorbers or mounts for them. The Hadco axle has a cloverleaf cross section
internal torsion member with rubber bars in the corners of the square section
housing. All this is internal and not serviceable. The service life is
supposed to be about 30 years.

If you look under your trailer and see a square section axle welded to the
frame, and the wheel spindles are on trailing arms,  this is probably one of
these axles. Expensive, supposedly superior.

The axle is sold complete with brakes, hubs, bearings, and all. The dealer
who did the work (Manteca Trailer in California) said that they were unable
to get Hadco to sell a short unit (without hubs, brakes, etc) which was
UNFORTUNATE since I had just installed new electric brakes!

This is what I ran into, I don't think all Airstreams are like this.

I am thinking about another 60's trailer, preferably a Bambi. If I locate one
I will assume that I will have to drop $1000 into a new axle from the start
unless I can confirm that the original had been replaced. Having worked on my
Safari for 4 years now I would do things very differently. My wife and I
tried to preserve as much of the original as possible and this was a waste of
time.  In the end I had to replace the countertop, the stove, and
refrigerator. The amount of fussing required to retrofit modern RV appliances
into the spaces for '60's vintage stuff was surprising.

The next Airstream will be gutted. I will not use any old wood except as
patterns, and will probably use Baltic Birch ply and composite honeycomb
panels. The way I see it the major aesthetic component in this is the
streamlined, riveted aluminum bodyshell and the lightweight, quality
construction.  Sorry if I am offending the purists out there! You guys have
more patience than I!
 :)

Jimmy Arakaki
'61 Safari