Re: [VAC] Hi/axle costs

Bill,
My 1961 Safari I'm 99% sure has a Hadco axle. I say this because I took it
to my local trailer shop (in business for many years) and they id'ed it as a
Hadco and then I took it to Hadco in Corona, CA and they said it was a
Hadco.  It's kind of an I-beam design although the center portion "bulges"
out to be as wide as the top and bottom portion of the "I".  I believe it's
solid steel and definitely not the newer dura-torque type.

To upgrade to electric brakes, Hadco quoted me what I think is a great
price. For $104 per side they will re-weld the flange on the axle to fit a
new hub drum, with the new armature plate and new bearings (me doing the
grunt work).  I would also take my old leaf springs in to make sure they are
ok or upgrade at additional cost.  The pre-loaded back plates I think are
about $45-60 each (not sure if that includes the magnets).   The advantage
to doing this is it's all new and the bearings will be available anywhere.
My current bearings are 50% obsolete meaning either the inner or the outer
are not available any more.  Looks to me like I could do it complete for
less than half the $700 A/S wanted.

I considered my day at Hadco well worth the drive and the folks out there
were very helpful.

Bruce
61 Safari
76 Caravanner