Re: [VAC] tires to tow?

Greetings Laurie!

I made the switch to Good Year Radial ST tires last year on my '64 Overlander.  The decision whether to go radial or bias ply or bias ply belted is more a decision of personal preference as well as what is available in your region.  To me, the critical factors are the weight carrying ability of the tire as well as the wheel that is mounted upon - - not all tires nor wheels are created equal - - and both tires and wheels have a maximum weight rating.  My suggestion would be to have an accurate weight measurement for your trailer when its loaded for a trip to establish the absolute minimum for weight carrying capacity needed - - then armed with this information interview the tire store(s) that you are considering for your purchase to find out if they carry ST (Special Trailer) tires of the proper weight carrying capacity and if they would be willing to measure and order the proper tire for your Globe Trotter.  If your trailer happens to have its original split rim wheels you will probably want to replace them as well - - and most tire dealers have a ready source for reasonably priced tow rated wheels.  The reason that I suggest having the dealer order the tires based on his measurements is that if the tires arrive and there are clearance problems within the wheel well - - it will be his measurements at fault which means there will likely be no problem with a reorder and none of the restocking charges, etc. that are often charged for a customer order where the customer's measurements are at fault.  This is the process that I followed when purchasing tires for my Overlander and it worked out very well - - I have had the tires for a year now and have towed the rig several thousand miles with no problems.

Kevin Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban