Re: [VAC] tires to tow?

I would think that your local tire shop should be able to find a suitable replacement in the 7.00x15 or 195-205x15 range.  As long as the tire has the proper weight rating, fits the rim, and has adequate clearance in the wheelwell, it should work just fine.  The LT rating generally means a heavier carcass and typically a more agressive tread for duty use heavier than passenger car tires. Your trailer tires don't necessarily have to have the light truck (LT) rating.  You may want to lean toward 8 ply bias construction tires if you can find them as the sidewalls tend not to flex as much as a radial tire.  I think that causes the trailer to track better. However, radials will give a softer ride for the trailer and contents primarily because of the sidewall flex in radials. I would suggest LTs in a radial tire for their heavier construction.  Which ever you opt for make sure you have adequate reserve in the weight rating for your trailer and load.  I have had both radials and bias in tandem and single axle trailers, and I prefer the bias ply.   My '57 Overlander has tandem axles and (factory stock) 8.00x14.5 8ply bias construction mobile home tires and wheels.  Those tires are still available, although pricey I'm told.  I like the way they tow better than radials (just my opinion).

Roger
--
Roger & Laurie Hakeman
rhakeman@ncn.net