[VAC] '62 Globetrotter, lots of questions.

Hi-

I'm Bob Harper, back in the group after several months away. I'm in South Carolina, and have a '62 Globetrotter, 19' long. Doing ground-up restoration/remodeling. Have just completed mechanical overhaul (brakes,bearings,shocks,wheels,tires), frame repairs (sandblasting,welding), and floor/lower wall plate repairs/patches. Now doing some dent removal on skin & wet sanding of scratches. Next will be window frame cleanup, followed by 1st step of polishing (using Airmark's green-ox).

A few questions to throw out there:

What does anyone know about GE's Silicone II product on aluminum? It is a methoxy polymer that gives off ammonia and methanol as it cures, as opposed to the standard silicone, which is an acetoxy polymer which gives off acetic acid. I read it was better for copper and brass, but there was no mention of aluminum.

How do I go about restoring the Airstream nameplate without losing the image of the guy on the bike pulling a trailer? It appears to be an etched plated, and I'd like to get it shined up without losing the etched areas. It is off of the trailer. Ditto on the Airstream nameplates from above front and rear windows. I want to redo the blue paint with black (no other blue on trailer - so sorry if this offends any purists) and
shine up the rest. These are also off of trailer.

The metal "Globetrotter" script is pitted in several areas. I have not yet removed it. What is best route for repair/restoration? It appears to be a "pot metal" of some sort. I can remove the interior skin to access retaining clips on posts if necessary.

I'm looking for a source of black rubber weatherstrip, and would prefer the style currently in use in autos. A hollow compressible extrusion of rubber (not foam) with a cross-sectional shape of a capital D. Should be available somewhere in different sizes and sold off a roll.

I received a sample of a black rubber window trim from Hehr (manufacturer of the original crankout windows) which looks encouraging. Item # 009-311-19. Looks like a good fit if window frames are thoroughly cleaned, but it looks like a little adhesive might be helpful. Anyone had experience with this or another black rubber glass retaining strip? I have heard several people recommend just using silicone, but hesitate to do so due to reaction with aluminum and difficulty of getting a really neat and professional job.

Are there any problems with using expanding foam sealant (moisture cure polyurethane foam, such as Great Stuff) against unprotected aluminum? I've got the belly pan off, and will be replacing all but the outside 8"-12" of the pan with new sheets of aluminum, painted white both sides. Before I attach the new white to the old (still attached) original perimeter of the pan, I'd like to shoot this foam into the crack between the ply floor/steel frame and the aluminum skin. Any problems?

What is the original method of attachment of the rear bumper to the frame? Mine has been modified, with a 4" or so steel tube welded onto the outside of the bumper (for sewer hose storage I assume). But the bumper itself was just welded at top and bottom to the end of the frame, and did not appear original or secure. The frame also has 2 torched holes near the end in the vertical leg. Was there some kind of bracket between the bumper and the frame originally?

I'm considering going with a porta-potty instead of a bona fide flush toilet and holding tank, to allow storing it under a sink cabinet, or even removal from the trailer for outdoor use. Never having owned or used one of these, I'm a little squeamish re: emptying it. Can it be rigged up to pour into a sewer hose from inside the trailer? I don't like the image of carrying this thing through the trailer when full to go outside and empty it at a dump station.

I'm thinking about painting 1 or 3 top panels on the trailer white. They are not visible from the ground, and this is the area of the trailer with the worst skin condition (pitting). My thinking is that it will be better at reflecting sunlight and easier to keep clean. And of course avoid polishing. What kind of paint? (Would prefer to roll or brush.)What preparation? Any thoughts?

Sorry for the barrage of questions. They've been accumulating. One other comment. I'd suggest that anyone with a spare tire/rim for their older Airstream check to see that it actually fits. Mine appeared to be OK (from visual inspection and even a quick measurement). But when I tried putting it on, the center hole of the rim was 1/16th of an inch too small, and the rim would not seat properly against the drum. I was able to make it fit by carefully grinding out 1/32" all around, but this would not have been a welcome discovery out in the boonies with a flat.

Thanks in advance for all input.

Bob Harper
'62 Globetrotter