[VAC] Plasticote/Polish/Buff

That's right Bob, the plasticote must come off first, or it is like
p...... into a Wyoming wind.  Bix or Savagran, or for that matter,
almost any good paint stripper will work. When the plasticote was
sprayed on, it goes on thicker in some places and dries at different
levels.  The reason the plasticote usually streaks and breaks down up at
the radius curve near the roof line or the front and rear segments, is
because that is where the Sun's UV rays hit at the most direct angle.
UV and other photo chemicals are the main reason the plasticote breaks
down.  When the plasticote was first formulated, it was made to NOT dry
very hard, so that it could expand and contract as the metal would
expand and contract in the hot sunny day, then in the cool of the night.
As the plasticote ages and loses it's flexibility, it begins to crack
and sluff off, just like your skin.   Some people have had good luck
with plasticote, and it has lasted up to 10 years before breakdown.
Others have had breakdown in as few as 3 or 4 years, depending on the
climate, the coach, and your latitude.   I don't use plasticote, because
my attitude is why pay $1500 plus to spray and have to pay again in a
few years to have it removed.?  Instead, I just repolish every 2 years.
Many on this list, accept the fact that oxidation happens, and it
provides a protective "Patina" to the coach and gives it the "Character"
that is fitting a Vintage coach.  Others, really enjoy a mirror
polished, or medium polished Airstream for all the reasons we have
discussed.

Now then,.........don't mess around with anymore lacquer thinner or
wadding, or magic juice to polish your coach.  STRIP that old
PLASTICOTE, down to nude and clean skin.  Then you can begin the big
adventure, that some say only masochists enjoy, and you can polish your
brains out.

Bill