Re: [VAC] Add Gray Water Holding Tank to 1973

I may have a voice worth adding to the chorus.

We have a '75, 25' rear-bath Trade Wind with a gray water tank. Our
first trailer, a 24' SOB, didn't have a gray water tank (a fact we were
horrified to discover on our first trip out with it when the tub filled
up with nasty-looking water. Where the water might be going was
something that had never occured to us. I mean, hey, it went away at
home, didn't it? Why should this be any different? Duh. But that's
another story for another time.), so we have of of those blue, portable
tanks from those days.

We were excited to have a gray water tank when we purchased our "new"
Airstream 5 years ago. The fact is, however, that the capacity of the
tank is pretty minimal. I don't have the owner's manual for the
trailer, so I can't say for sure what the capacity is, but I know that
if you do the dishes a couple of times, you're pretty much tapped out.
For that reason, we have continued to use our portable tank. With the
things I've learned about frame-sag on rear bath models while lurking on
this list this winter, I'm more convinced than ever that using the
portable tank is the way to go. The temptation (or necessity) of
traveling with waste water in the tank could have such serious bad
effects that I'd rather avoid that as an option.

Given my experiences, if I had a trailer without a gray water tank, I
wouldn't go to the trouble or expense of adding one. We've learned to
get along fine without one, and in fact, don't use the one we have.

Thanks to those of you who contribute to his list. What a wonderful
source of information! I hope to meet some of you in the future.

Jim Delfel