Re: [VAC] Polishing

Hi Mark,
Its hard to talk about polishing now, with so many different ways being
used.  If you are going to use an axial buffer, the key is variable
speed with an upper limit of 3800 RPM.  Any faster and you chance
burning the aluminum, or scortching it.  I started with a cheap variable
electric polisher from AutoZone.  $59 with 7inch pad.  Later I bought a
nice Milwaukee, with easy screw on and off pads, similar to the Porter
Cable,.......you get what you pay for.  The best polish I have tried is
from Rollite, and they have it in different consistancy from heavy cut
to no cut and final finish.  It ain't cheap.  Polishing is a series of
scratches, that get finer and finer until you have a mirror.   You might
want to search Tom Pattersons web site archives for more details.
Others on this list have used the Cylclo 2 head buffer that eliminates
swirl marks.  If you are careful, you can eliminate swirl marks with an
axial buffer, and change pads frequently.  You may have to polish 2 or 3
times before you get the finish you desire. Be prepared for a long and
tedious job, and real dirty(black oxide residue).  If you get it
professionally done , it will cost you $100 a linear foot, body only.
Forget the sander at 10,000 rpm, you will have a mess on your hands.  Go
for a good variable speed polisher.

Bill Scott
61 Bambi
66 Tradewind, waiting to be polished by a Pro , with drum buffers.