Re: [VAC] 59 22' Safari Tire and hitch question

Don:

   Last November (1999) I retrieved a 22 foot long 1956 Aistream that was
about 175 miles away near Glenwood Springs, Colorado, on the other side of
the Continental Divide from Denver.  It had old used tires on split rims,
none of which matched.  But the old tires held air and looked serviceable.
Not pretty,mind you, just serviceable.  Each split rim wheel was of a
different design.  I inflated all 3 tires to the high pressure molded into
the sidewall when I first arrived to prep the trailer.  If there had been a
slow leak, it would have disclosed itself while I worked on other tasks.  No
leaks appeared, slow or otherwise.  I hooked up the trailer lights and
checked them; they all worked: brakes, right, left turn, taillights.

I secured loose items inside, laying down on the floor anything that might
fall over of off.  Hitched up the trailer and wired the hitch secure with a
coat hanger in the closed position so it would not come undone on a bump.
Filled up my portable air tank on last time.  Pulled the trailer forward 20
feet and checked everything.  Nothing fell off, all was connected and tight.
Drove 1/4 mile to the Interstate (I-70) entry ramp.  Checked everything
again; all OK.   Drove slow at 45 MPH to the first exit stop 5 miles away and
checked everything again.  Tires slightly warm but still hard, wheel bearings
cool and tight.  Drove 50 MPH for another 20 miles and pulled over and
checked everything again.  Tires slightly warm but fine, no bulges, no tears,
no rips, no loose rubber.  Wheels bearings just warm but fine, nothing hot.
Continued driving to Denver in the slow lane never exceeding 55 mph.  People
passed me constantly on my left.  That was fine with me as I was in my Frank
Sinatra trailering mode, "Nice and Easy."   Revenge was brief yet mine as I
passed one tractor-trailer crawling up the west side of Vail Pass as I blew
by him at 45 MPH.   I took my time going up to Eisenhower Tunnel and down the
other side to Denver.

I arrived home just fine, with an unused spare tire under full pressure at
the ready.  I was alert the entire trip but not paranoid.  Now that the
trailer is safely home, I will take my time to find just the right wheels and
tires for it.   If the tires on the trailer you bought look OK on visual
inspection, air them up and use them.  Check the tires frequently when first
starting out.  Keep your portable air tank full.  Have your hydraulic bottle
jack and wood blocks (or jack stands) at the ready.   Be alert and you should
arrive home OK.  Just take you time.   Good luck!

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO.
WBCCI 1510, VAC.