Re: [VAC] Proper A/s for my vehicle

Greetings Brent!

The question as to which trailer would be best for your Tahoe has several
variables.  One of the first considerations is where you plan to
concentrate your travels.  If you plan to concentrate your travels in or
near the Rocky Mountains, as I do, you will want a smaller lighter trailer
substantially below your maximum trailer tow rating.  If you plan to travel
mainly in the plains, you can look at larger trailers nearer to your
Tahoe's trailer tow rating.  My first new tow vehicle was a '95 K1500
Chevrolet with the Heavy Duty Factory Towing Package, (6,000 lb tow rating)
and it quite honestly had to struggle too much to comfortably handle travel
in the Rocky Mountains with my '64 Overlander International (26', tandem
axle, 4,400 lbs empty/6,000 pounds fully loaded).  If I had kept the K1500,
I would have changed to a significantly smaller trailer - - probably a 23'
or 24' with tandem axles.  Instead, I upgraded to a larger tow vehicle ('99
Suburban K2500 w/10,000 lb trailer tow rating).

I have observed the dangers of road rage, and don't care to be unable to
keep up with traffic.  I do tend to err on the side of high performance.
The K1500 could handle my Overlander, but in the Rocky Mountains, it was in
Low gear with maximum speed of 35 which to me is absolutely unacceptable on
the interstate.  In addition, I like the feeling of being able to easily
merge with traffic on the Interstate system.  When traveling to Boise with
the Suburban, I never had to go below 3rd gear except when starting on
grade after being stopped for road construction.  What it boils down to is
what kind of performance you are willing to tolerate when underway with
your trailer as the closer to maximum weight the greater the effect on your
Tahoe's performance.

Good Luck with your quest for the best trailer for your tow rig.  The
Tahoe/Suburban series make wonderfuly tow vehicles.