Re: [VAC] Proper A/s for my vehicle

Brent, I'm sure that you are looking for a simple straight forward answer like anything under "X" number of feet. Unfortunately this is not the case. Trailer weights varied over the years. In general the newer they are the heavier they are. Sometimes weight varies drastically within the same year. If you look at a sales brochure from 1999 an empty 25 footer may weigh as little as 4770# or as much as 6000# depending on the model. But you don't travel with an empty trailer, but a full one, so we need to add approx 1000# to the empty weight.

The largest of the trailers produced in 1960 (28 foot) are within your weight limits. I don't know what year that you are going to have to be careful to watch the weight.

The best way to determine if the trailer you have your eye on is too much for your Tahoe is to have the trailer that you are looking at weighed. But sometimes this is not possible.

If we can assume that Airstream trailers never weighed more than they do now, then I would say any 19 foot or smaller trailer will be OK. The 1999 23 and 25 foot Safari models are getting close to your weight limit. Therefore you MIGHT be OK with anything under 25 feet. If you desire a larger trailer than this, I would insist that the sale be conditional upon its weight. Since you will most likely be weighing an empty trailer, I would limit myself to anything 5500# or less.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander